Dear Scouts and Parents
Crew Baree is fast approaching, so we thought we’d fill you in on some of the finer details. Camp starts at 17:00 on the 24th June 2016, so please make sure you arrive, in your uniform, at
Hesley Wood Activity Centre White Lane Chapeltown Sheffield S35 2YH in good time. Leaders will be on site from around16:00.
When you arrive you will put up your own tent and then the Opening Ceremony will be around 20:00 supper will be available from the cook Tent From around 21:00. So please eat before you leave home!
Activities will run from Friday night until Sunday lunchtime (we won’t spoil it by telling you all the details of the activities). During the day you will have free reign over which activities you do, and we won’t follow you around or get in your way (apart from the occasional photo or video). But, we will be around if you need us for anything during the day (or night!). Whilst this is good news for you, it does mean that you will be expected to behave as Scouts (please remember your Scout Promise to keep the Scout Law).
All food is provided but you will be asked to cook. Drinks will be available throughout the day so you will need to bring a cup (which unfortunately you will need to wash up … so bring a tea-towel!). All food is included in your camp fee, so you don’t need to bring any money with you, but there is a shop on site and you can buy sweets and things if you want.
We will be camping outside and the nights may be cold and possibly wet. Therefore, please pack clothes that will keep you warm! Aim for several thin layers, as this will be better than one thick layer – remember you’ll also want to clamber about the activities. A waterproof coat is essential and waterproof trousers are recommended as we can’t trust our summer weather. Similarly trainers might be good for some activities but, if it gets muddy, walking boots might be your best bet. Pack some extra clothes for bedtime too – a hat and gloves will certainly help! Please also make sure you have a sleeping mat, as you’ll need some insulation from the ground (newspaper to spread under your sleeping mat is also a good addition). If you have a second sleeping bag, do bring it with you
– using two sleeping bags will keep you much warmer at night. Basically, bring lots of clothes! Too many, and being too warm, is better than being too cold! You may also need spares if the weather is wet. Please see the attached kit-list for a summary of the things you’ll need.
You won’t need your phone, camera, or other electronic devices (there is nowhere for you to charge them anyway!). Leaders will have phones and cameras and if you need to contact parents this will be done via the leaders.
Parents, please collect your Scout(s) at 16:00 on Sunday afternoon from Hesley Wood Activity Centre White Lane Chapeltown Sheffield S35 2YH. We will try to gather together in one place near the Main carpark, but do feel free to give simon or me a call when you arrive.
As always, please do feel free to contact us if you have any questions. See you there!
Standard Kit List
Scouts should be encouraged to pack their own rucksack/kit bag putting heavier items at the top with waterproof gear and a torch easily accessible.
- SCOUT UNIFORM (Top half)
- DRINKING WATER BOTTLE
- RUCKSACK/KIT BAG(S) (A waterproof rucksack liner is always advisable.)
- SLEEP MAT
- SLEEPING BAG (Synthetic filled bags are easier to clean than natural filling. Zips can be a source of cold if no baffle is fitted.)
- HEADGEAR (Cap & woolly hat)
- PYJAMAS (Several thin layers are warmer than one thick one and warmth can be regulated more easily. Pack some gloves and wear a woolly hat if you get cold at night.)
- WARM SWEATER(S)
- T-SHIRTS OR SIMILAR
- WALKING BOOTS/STRONG SHOES (Optional but very strongly recommended.)
- WATERPROOF OUTER GARMENTS
- TORCH AND BATTERIES (Best to pack batteries separately. Torches can accidentally get switched on in the bag and run your batteries down.)
- THICK POLYTHENE BAGS (to separate clean and dirty items.)
- PERSONAL WASHING KIT & TOWEL
- PERSONAL FIRST AID KIT including
SUN BLOCK CREAM
- WRISTWATCH (Optional but encouraged.)
- MUG EATING UTENCILES, PLATE AND TEA-TOWEL (Unbreakable)
- £10 POCKET MONEY (Optional – there are vending machines/shop on site)
Please ensure that your scout arrives at camp in top half uniform.
Please place name labels in all items of clothing and bedding. All other equipment must be labelled or engraved as appropriate. Nail varnished initials work well.
Please do not wear any jewellery unless it is for reasons of religious observance.
Mobile phones are not permitted on camp. Failure to comply with this requirement will be treated as a disciplinary matter. Other electronic items are discouraged; there are no charging facilities and necessary items, such as digital cameras and GPS devices will be provided.
Communication, as always, takes place via the Scout Leaders.
Your child is responsible for all their own personal items. 18th Hoyland Scout Group cannot be held liable for any items that are lost, stolen or damaged.
|Emergancy Contact Card
|1. Jamie Booth Dobson- 07988877501
|2. Simon Lee – 07973726118
|Event Centre Info:
|Tel:- 0114 246 7912
Hesley Wood Activity Centre
Parent info pdf
>> Read "Crew Baree Parent Info"